HP unveils 9.7″ WebOS TouchPad tablet
Published on February 10th, 2011 | by sylv3rblade0
One of the inevitable results of HP’s acquisition of Palm is a webOS-enabled tablet. Today HP has unveiled just that, a 9.7″ tablet powered by the latest version of webOS, the HP Touchpad.
The HP TouchPad is equipped with a powerful 1.2 GHz Qualcomm processor, 9.7″ capacitive multi-touch display, and HP’s exclusive touch-to-share feature, based on webOS 3.0 platform and will be available in 16GB or 32GB of internal built-in storage capacity. Other accessories include a front-facing 1.3 megapixel webcam, support for video calling, 802.11b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, A-GPS (3G model only) and a set of stereo speakers.
HP also promises seamless, wireless connectivity with the TouchPad, Pre 2 and your HP printer (the wireless one of course).
- 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon dual-CPU APQ8060 processor
- Large, vibrant 9.7-inch XGA (1,024 x 768 pixels) multi-touch screen
- Virtual full QWERTY keyboard with 4 variants of size – S, M, L and XL
- HP’s new touch-to-share function for easy sharing web URLs with webOS phones
- HP Synergy for easy access to your Facebook, Google, Microsoft Exchange, LinkedIn and Yahoo! accounts
- Built-in A-GPS, 1.3 MP front-facing webcam, Bluetooth 2.1 and Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n with WPA, WPA2, WEP, 802.1X authentication
- Pre-loaded with Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite for optimal productivity
- Beats Audio promises the superior audio quality
- Support Adobe Flash Player 10.1 beta
- Robust messaging support
- 2 variants of internal memory capacity – 16GB and 32GB
- Compatible with optional HP Touchstone
“Today we’re embarking on a new era of webOS with the goal of linking a wide family of HP products through the best mobile experience available,” commented Jon Rubinstein, senior vice president and general manager for Palm Global Business Unit at HP. “The flexibility of the webOS platform makes it ideal for creating a range of innovative devices that work together to keep you better connected to your world.”
HP TouchPad which measures 7.48 x 9.53 x 0.54 inches and weighs 1.6 pounds will be available this summer but the pricing detail has yet to be known. Multiple models of the webOS TouchPad are said to be incoming with the WiFi only version releasing first (finally, take that Xoom), with 3G and 4G variants to follow shortly after.